High School Internships
“I met a lot of new and interesting people. I successfully completed a research project and comfortably presented in front of an audience. I have gotten to know and love this museum setting.” – Tyler Lee, 2012 Student Historian
Interested in a unique, hands-on experience at New York’s oldest museum? The New-York Historical Society offers two sessions of the Student Historian Internship Program each year (Academic Year and Summer).
The Student Historian High School Internship Program is designed for students in grades 10, 11, and 12 in the tri-state area. The Student Historian Program is a comprehensive internship and youth development program that provides students with vocational and academic training, public speaking and leadership skills, and an increased understanding of American art and history. Through object- and inquiry-based learning, students broaden their academic perspective, increase their confidence in professional settings, and enhance their knowledge of fulfilling careers in the museum world.
Upcoming Dates to Know:
Academic Year 2016–17 Program:
- Application available: June 2016
- Deadline: October 2016
- Program dates: November 2016 to June 2017, Wednesdays from 4 pm to 6:30pm, plus occasional Friday hours
Please note: Applicants must be available every day of the program
Participation in the Student Historian program includes:
- Researching art, artifacts, and documents from New-York Historical's collections to create resources for Museum visitors and the New-York Historical Society website
- Training to work with diverse audiences as facilitators in the museum galleries and the DiMenna Children’s History Museum
- Contributing to social media accounts at the New-York Historical Society, including the Student Historian blog
- Assisting with public programs, family programs, and other special events at the New-York Historical Society
- Meeting with experts from the Museum and Library departments to discuss both the Museum’s collections and career options
- Visiting other museums and cultural institutions throughout New York City
If you have any questions about high school internships, please e-mail us at email@example.com
The Student Historian High School Internship Program is supported by a generous grant from The New York Life Foundation and through an endowment established by The Peter Jay Sharp Foundation.