High School Internships
“I met a lot of new and interesting people. I successfully completed a research project and comfortably presented in front of an audience. I have gotten to know and love this museum setting.” – Tyler Lee, 2012 Student Historian
Interested in a unique, hands-on experience at the oldest museum in New York? The New-York Historical Society offers two sessions of the Student Historian Internship Program each year (Academic Year and Summer).
The Student Historian High School Internship Program is designed for students in grades 10, 11, and 12 in the tri-state area. The Student Historian program is a comprehensive internship and youth development program that provides students with vocational and academic training, public speaking and leadership skills, and an increased understanding of American art and history. Through object- and inquiry-based learning, students broaden their academic perspective, increase their confidence in professional settings, and enhance their knowledge of fulfilling careers in the museum world.
Our 2013-14 Academic Year Student Historian Program is currently full.
Upcoming Dates to Know:
Summer 2014 Program:
- Application available: March 2014
- Deadline: April 23, 2014
- Program dates: July 8–August 14, 2014, Tuesday–Thursday, 10 am–4 pm
Academic Year 2014-15 Program:
- Application available: TBD September 2014
- Deadline: TBD October 2014
- Program dates: November 2014-June 2015, Wednesdays from 4–6:30pm, plus occasional Friday hours.
- Please note: Applicants must be available every day of the program.
- Researching art, artifacts, and documents from New-York Historical's collections to create resources for museum visitors and the New-York Historical Society website, with a particular focus on New York State U.S. History & Government Regents Exam review materials during the academic year.
- Training to work with diverse audiences as facilitators in the museum galleries and the DiMenna Children’s History Museum.
- Contributing to social media accounts at the New-York Historical Society Student Historian blog.
- Assisting with public programs, family programs, and other special events at the New-York Historical Society.
- Meeting with experts from the museum and library departments to discuss both the museum’s collections and career options.
- Visiting other museums and cultural institutions throughout New York City.
The New-York Historical Society Student Historian Program is open to students who meet ALL of the following qualifications:
- You are currently enrolled in grades 10, 11, or 12 in a high school in the tri-state area.
- You have the consent of your parent/guardian to apply for this program.
- You have (or can obtain by the start of the program) valid working papers. For complete information about obtaining working papers, visit http://www.labor.state.ny.us/workerprotection/laborstandards/workprot/wp....
Paid internships may be offered to interns who are eligible for free or reduced lunch at school. All applicants attending NYC high schools will be consider