FShare Tweet

Treasures of Shearith Israel

Ongoing

Objects and documents from the incomparable collection of Congregation Shearith Israel (established 1654), including manuscripts, maps, liturgical treasures and historical artifacts, are featured in the Henry Luce III Center for American Culture.

 Unknown artist, Untitled [Congregation Shearith Israel], ca. 1892. Letterpress half-tone. New-York Historical Society

The history of New York’s Jewish presence began in 1654 with the arrival of twenty-three refugees of Sephardic ancestry from Recife, Brazil. Soon after their arrival the group established a congregation, the first in North America. This foundation was the beginning of a rich legacy that has culminated in the growth of what is now one of the largest Jewish communities in the world, and, importantly, set the stage for the religious and ethnic diversity for which our city and nation are known. Since its early inception, members of Congregation Shearith Israel have participated in the political, economic, and cultural life of New York and the United States, and have included colonial shipping merchants and master artisans, Revolutionary War patriots and loyalists, founders of the New York Stock Exchange, Mount Sinai Hospital, and Barnard College, numerous public officials, national educators, activists and poets.

Creative: Tronvig Group