Project Registrar (FT)
JOB TITLE: Project Registrar - Grant funded position for a year
DEPARTMENT: Museum Department
REPORTS TO: Associate Curator of Material Culture
START DATE: Early June 2017
JOB SUMMARY: The New-York Historical Society recently acquired the Jerni Collection of 11,000 trains and toys made in Europe and the United States between the late 19th and mid-20th centuries. The project registrar will process and catalog the collection while working in close consultation with the curatorial, collection, and conservation staff. The position will be working at an off-site location in New Jersey.
EDUCATION: Bachelor’s degree in a related field required. Master’s degree in museum studies, art history, history, or material culture preferred.
EXPERIENCE: A minimum of two years working in a museum, proficiency with The Museum System (TMS), MS Office, Google Docs, and familiarity with current registration methods and art handling techniques are required. Experience with a large cataloging initiative is strongly preferred. Familiarity with European and American children’s toys is a plus.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES:
- Unpack the collection and work with the Associate Curator to organize the objects by category.
- Assign accession numbers and record the numbers on the objects.
- Create item-level records for individual objects in the museum’s collection database (TMS). (Record object name, maker, country of origin, approximate of date of manufacture, dimensions and identifying marks.)
- Photograph individual or groups of objects for the database.
- Rehouse the collection as needed for long term storage.
- Document the condition of objects and update their locations in TMS.
- Perform other duties as requested.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee with or without accommodation, to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
This is largely a sedentary role using a computer; however, some standing, lifting (up to 50 lbs.) and stooping are required.
For consideration please send a cover letter, resume and salary requirements to: firstname.lastname@example.org Please reference the job title in the subject line.
The New-York Historical Society is an Equal Opportunity Employer