Director of Engineering
JOB TITLE: Director of Engineering
REPORTS TO: Vice President, Operations
Director of Engineering is responsible for overseeing the maintenance and operation of the physical plant and; Managing maintenance of the HVAC, Electrical, Plumbing, Sprinkler, vertical transportation and Fire Alarm systems for the entire facility. Position is responsible for operating Building Management Systems (BMS) and monitoring activities through Building Automatic Temperature Control system, Fire Alarm System and other systems as required. Director of Engineering manages the elevator maintenance program and safety programs within the facility.
The Director of Engineering is responsible for responding to all emergency situations including equipment failures, roof leaks, temperature drops, HVAC issues, fire alarms, sprinkler alerts and similar emergency notifications and to be on call to assist staff with any emergency operations
- Minimum 10 years facilities/operations experience with increasing management and supervisory responsibilities (Museum / Data Center experience desirable)
- Detailed experience in Building Automatic Temperature Control Systems
- Working knowledge of all facility systems including HVAC, Steam controls, heating, fire protection and detection, vertical transportation, electrical, plumbing and building envelope.
- Knowledge of budgeting and purchasing related to facility maintenance.
- Experience with computerized control systems
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering or facility-related degree or experience • At least Ten (10) years in facilities management, or related field.
- Preventive Maintenance scheduling for all systems that align with standard practices
- Assisting in acceptance and design of capital projects,
- Knowledge of OSHA regulations, fire department regulations and other health and safety regulations
- Able to work independently and as part of a team
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES:
- Operate facility climate control systems. Including all physical equipment and monitoring regularly via the BATC systems.
- Operate facility and all related MEPF systems & equipment (HVAC, boiler, chiller, fire protection, building envelope, vertical transportation and generator systems). •
- Assure smooth operation of building systems to maintain critical environment for the museum and library collections, staff and the public as outlined by facilities guidelines. :
- Supervise the on-site management of mechanical sub-contractors and vendors, ensuring that preventative maintenance and emergency repairs are performed as specified and on schedule
- Operate and manage both routine and emergency service on a variety of state of the art critical systems, including but not limited to Chillers, Cooling Towers, mechanical heat rejection systems, computer room air handlers, rooftop units, CRAC units, fire detection/suppression and building monitoring systems.
- Excellent supervisory, leadership, planning, decision making and scheduling skills. •
- Detail-oriented with the ability to handle multiple tasks independently. •
- Generate BMS museum and library required climate control reports
- Audit energy use, identify opportunities, and implement sustainable projects such as solar, geothermal, combined heat and power, recommissioning, efficiency retrofits, load shedding, and demand reduction to reduce utility costs and environmental impacts.
- Pursue financial incentives offered through government, manufacturers, utilities, and private sponsors.
- Manage Maintenance staff assigned to Engineering Dept. and directly manage and coordinate all outside vendors for facility sys6tems work.
- Responsibility for maintaining budget and assets for Engineering Dept...
squotations for purchase order requests for equipment, supplies, materials and services.
- Monitor off site facilities system maintenance and critical systems. Schedule maintenance as required. Requires monthly visit to two other locations within the NY/NJ area.
- The facility operates on a 24-hour continuous schedule; the Director of Engineering must be available as needed.
- Troubleshoot and repair all mechanical systems along with outside vendors.
- Ensure all equipment is operational and OSHA compliant
- Assist with design, installation and turnover of capital project equipment.
- Close communication and collaboration with all operational departments including Security, Visitor Services, Special Events, Registrar, Exhibitions, and Restaurant/Catering.
- Monitor, diagnose and maintain the building envelope and it’s structural infrastructure using both in-house and contractual resources
- Coordinate repair activities with curators, administrators and the facilities team to ensure repairs happen in a minimally disruptive and financially responsible manner
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be able to tour the facility multiple times on a daily basis. Climb stairs and ladders as required.
Work involves outside activity in all types of weather. There is frequent need to stand, stoop, walk and lift and perform other similar actions during the course of the workday.
For consideration please send a cover letter, resume and salary requirements to: email@example.com Please reference the job title in the subject line.
The New-York Historical Society is an Equal Opportunity Employer