Error message

  • Warning: array_flip(): Can only flip STRING and INTEGER values! in DrupalDefaultEntityController->load() (line 173 of /var/www/vhosts/nyhistory.org/httpdocs/includes/entity.inc).
  • Warning: array_flip(): Can only flip STRING and INTEGER values! in DrupalDefaultEntityController->load() (line 173 of /var/www/vhosts/nyhistory.org/httpdocs/includes/entity.inc).

Advertising matchsafe

Title:
Advertising matchsafe
lass="field field-name-field-e-inscriptions field-type-text-long field-label-above">
Inscriptions: 
Front text: THE ARDSLEY CAFE / KLUSSMANN & BOESSMANN, Propr's / N. W. Cor. 113 St. & 8th Ave.
Not promoted
68 559
Date: 
1903
Medium: 
Celluloid
Dimensions: 
Overall: 2 13/16 x 1 7/16 x 3/8 in. (7.1 x 3.7 x 0.9 cm)
Description: 
Celluloid advertising matchsafe for the Ardsley Cafe features an image of a man bowling and 1903 calendar. Text reads: THE ARDSLEY CAFÉ / KLUSSMANN & BOESSMANN, Propr's / N.W. Cor. 113 St. & 8th Ave.
Date End: 
1 903
Credit Line: 
Gift of Dadie and Norman Perlov and Daughters
Object Number: 
2012.16.18
Gallery Label: 
Celluloid, the first entirely synthetic plastic, was invented by John Wesley Hyatt (1837-1920) of Albany in 1869. It is created from nitrocellulose and camphor along with dyes and other agents. Hyatt first developed the material as a less expensive alternative to ivory in the production of billiard balls. Hyatt's invention was patented in 1869 and subsequently used for a wide range of objects, both in imitation of expensive animal products like ivory, horn, and tortoiseshell, and also as an inexpensive medium for objects such as dresser sets, jewelry, picture frames, and advertising giveaways. Celluloid, which is both flammable and fragile, was gradually supplanted by the stronger Bakelite in the 1920s. Celluloid continues to be used today for making Ping Pong balls and guitar picks.
Date Begin: 
1903
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.
Creative: Tronvig Group