Apothecaries' weight excavated at Revolutionary War barracks

Not promoted
35 607
Title:
Apothecaries' weight excavated at Revolutionary War barracks
Date: 
1760-1783
Medium: 
Brass
Classification: 
Dimensions: 
Overall: 1/4 x 3/8 in. ( 0.6 x 1 cm )
Date End: 
1 783
Description: 
Brass apothecaries' weight; hexagon with inscription on bottom.
Credit Line: 
Gift of the Washington Headquarters Association, Daughters of the American Revolution, 1947
Object Number: 
INV.6100.15
Gallery Label: 
This weight was excavated by Reginald P. Bolton and others from a refuse deposit near military barracks that extended along Bennett Avenue between 181st and 182nd Streets. Built after the surrender of Fort Washington by American forces on November 16, 1776, the barracks were occupied by the British and Hessian garrisons of the fort until evacuation in 1783. The weight was used by an apothecary who sold alcohol, medicine, or other products to the soldiers living in the barracks.
Date Begin: 
1760
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.
Creative: Tronvig Group