Is owned by NYHS:
Overall: 40 x 25 3/4 x 4 1/2 in. ( 101.6 x 65.4 x 11.4 cm )
Rectangular wooden sign with wrought iron hooks for hanging; high relief applied wooden Greek portico affixed to both sides (one side missing); black painted ground and brown portico; gilded inscription across bottom.
Gift of Mr. Thomas E. Snook, Jr.
painted in gold: on both sides: "JNO. B. SNOOK/ Architect./ ESTABLISHED 1837"
This trade sign, depicting the facade of a Greek temple, hung in front of the office of architect John Butler Snook (1815-1901), who established his firm in 1837. A largely self-taught architect, Snook played an instrumental role in developing the streetscape of downtown Manhattan. Among his notable buildings were the A.T. Stewart "Marble Palace" (1845-46), Grand Central Depot (1869-71), the Metropolitan Hotel (1849-52), as well as numerous private homes.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.