Automatic pen/pencil

Object Number: 
1941.304
Date: 
1740-1795
Medium: 
Metal
Dimensions: 
Overall: 3 1/4 x 1/4 in. ( 8.3 x 0.6 cm )
Description: 
Brass colored metal mechanical pen and pencil, with a button on the side which slides in both directions, exposing at one end a pen nib, and at the opposite end a holder for pencil lead.
Gallery Label: 
This mechanical pen and pencil belonged to John Bradstreet Schuyler, who was elected the first supervisor of Saratoga in 1791 and a representiative in the New York State Assembly in 1794. He was the son of Catherine van Rensselaer and Philip Schuyler, a Revolutionary War general and U.S. Senator.
Credit Line: 
Gift of Miss Elizabeth Harrison & William Harrison
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.
Creative: Tronvig Group