In early 2017, our fourth floor will be transformed into a new destination for historical education and innovation. During the current renovation, objects from our permanent collection are on view throughout the Museum.
Fete to Lafayette
Support the New-York Historical Society
Help us present groundbreaking exhibitions and develop educational programs about our nation's history for more than 200,000 schoolchildren annually.
Convex blade that narrows at middle into rectangular socket at back.
This ax head was excavated by the Field Exploration Committee from a refuse deposit near a military camp and fort at Richmond, Staten Island. Built after the arrival of British forces under General William Howe in July, 1776, the fort was occupied by British and Hessian troops until evacuation in 1783. The ax was probably used to cut wood for huts and fortifications.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.
Museum & Library Map
Floor plan & visitor information
New-York Historical Society
170 Central Park West
at Richard Gilder Way (77th Street)
New York, NY 10024