This ax head was excavated on July 26, 1903 by Reginald P. Bolton and others on 169th Street and 11th Avenue, within the area of a military camp that extended west of Broadway between 168th and 171st Streets. Built after the surrender of Fort Washington by American forces on November 16, 1776, the camp was occupied by British and Hessian troops until evacuation in 1783. The ax was probably used to cut wood for huts and fortifications.
Gift of the Washington Headquarters Association, Daughters of the American Revolution, 1947
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.
Museum & Library Map
Floor plan & visitor information
New-York Historical Society
170 Central Park West
at Richard Gilder Way (77th Street)
New York, NY 10024