The Henry Luce III Center for the Study of American Culture will be closed for renovations from August 31, 2014 through December 2016. Please check back in the fall for details of our exciting new galleries and installations.
inscribed: on reverse: "Members Pass Not Transferrable. 294."
In the late 19th century, New York's wealthy and fashionable frequented posh hotels in Manhattan Beach and Brighton Beach. They searched for lodging with a first-class race track nearby. Well-known horsemen, including August Belmont and W.K. Vanderbilt were involved in opening the Coney Island Jockey Club's Sheepshead Bay race track in 1880. In 1915, responding to another fad, the racetrack was replaced by the Sheepshead Bay Speedway, which was demolished in 1923.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.
Museum & Library Map
Floor plan & visitor information
New-York Historical Society
170 Central Park West
at Richard Gilder Way (77th Street)
New York, NY 10024