Metal, ribbon, celluloid, paper
A gold colored metal two-part medal. The top pin bar is a rectangular frame inset with a paper typewritten with the name "Geo. J. Freedley". It is attached to the lower medallion by a red silk ribbon stamped in gold "Century Club/ Acca Temple/ Richmond, VA./ June 9, 1927. The lower medallion is a circular frame inset with a celluloid button showing a pharoah's head with red striped headcloth, and rams horns around a red five-pointed star with yellow radiating rays. The quasi-Egyptian and Arabic symbolism is representative of the Acca Temples of America also known as the Shriner's, notable for their red fez hats, miniature car parades and most significantly, philanthropic maintenance of hospitals for ill and disabled children.
Gift of Bella C. Landauer
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.