In December 2016, our fourth floor will be transformed into a new destination for historical education and innovation. During the current renovation, objects from our permanent collection are on view throughout the Museum.
Fete to Lafayette
Support the New-York Historical Society
Help us present groundbreaking exhibitions and develop educational programs about our nation's history for more than 200,000 schoolchildren annually.
Hollow metal ball painted gold set on black painted wood circular stand.
Gift of Edgar F. Ronig, D. D.
The Garden Street Dutch Reformed Church, located on what is now Exchange Place, was built in 1693 to replace the garrison church after its appropriation by the British. The congregation was granted a full charter as the Dutch Church in America by King William III of England on May 19, 1696. The church was destroyed in the Great Fire of 1835, though this ball from the steeple survived. It was given to the donor by Dr. George Alexander, minister of the First Presbyterian Church.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.
Museum & Library Map
Floor plan & visitor information
New-York Historical Society
170 Central Park West
at Richard Gilder Way (77th Street)
New York, NY 10024