In January 2017, our fourth floor will be transformed into a new destination for historical education and innovation. During the current renovation, objects from our permanent collection are on view throughout the Museum.
This blade was excavated by the Field Exploration Committee from a refuse deposit near a military camp and fort at Richmond, Staten Island. Built after the arrival of British forces under General William Howe in July, 1776, the fort was occupied by British and Hessian troops until evacuation in 1783.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.
Museum & Library Map
Floor plan & visitor information
New-York Historical Society
170 Central Park West
at Richard Gilder Way (77th Street)
New York, NY 10024