Bell from the ferryboat "Elizabeth"

Object Number: 
ca. 1904
Brass, iron, wood
Overall: 41 1/2 x 26 x 26 in. ( 105.4 x 66 x 66 cm )
inscriptions: inscribed: Elizabeth
Cast brass ship's bell with black painted frame, mounted on wooden base; "ELIZABETH" inscribed on bell.
Gallery Label: 
This bell comes from the ferryboat Elizabeth, which was built in 1904, the second of its name to ply the route between Elizabeth, New Jersey and New York City. The steamboat belonged to Communipaw Ferry, the oldest interstate ferry company in New York Harbor. The Elizabeth served for 34 years, retiring in 1938 due to the closing of the West 23rd Street Ferry. For further information, see object file.
Credit Line: 
Gift of the New Jersey Central Railroad, through the Steamship Historical Society
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.
Creative: Tronvig Group