Museum and Library Closures

The New-York Historical Society will be closed on September 23, and select spaces will be closed September 24. For details, please visit our calendar.

Belt buckle fragment excavated at a Colonial farm in New York

Belt buckle fragment excavated at a Colonial farm in New York
Title
Belt buckle fragment excavated at a Colonial farm in New York
Date 
1710-1783
Medium 
Brass
Dimensions 
Overall: 2 x 1 5/8 in. ( 5.1 x 4.1 cm )
Description 
Brass belt buckle fragment; rectangular frame.
Credit Line 
Gift of the Washington Headquarters Association, Daughters of the American Revolution, 1947
Object Number 
INV.5943.2
Gallery Label 
This ruler was excavated by Reginald P. Bolton and William L. Calver from a refuse pit at the farmhouse of the Van Oblienis family, between Broadway and Fort Washington Avenue at 176th Street. The house was built in 1704 and was part of a farm that extended between 175th and 181st Streets. By 1776 the farm had passed out of the Van Oblienis family, and the land below 178th Street was sold to Jacob Arden. The house was occupied by British soldiers, one of whom may have discarded the buckle.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.
Creative: Tronvig Group