Bowling Green, New York City

Object Number: 
Watercolor, graphite, and black ink on paper
Overall: 13 x 18 1/8 in. ( 33 x 46 cm ) mat: 14 1/4 x 19 1/8 in. ( 36.2 x 48.6 cm )
signature: lower right, pencil: "By A. Hosier" inscription: lower center, pencil: "Bowling Green in 1848"
Inscribed at center below image in black ink: "BOWLING GREEN IN 1848."
Gallery Label: 
This is a view looking from Whitehall Street toward Broadway and Battery Place ca. 1848. At the left are the residences formerly called the Bowling Green Block and later known as "Steamship Row," on the site of the United States Custom House. The building in the center distance, at the corner of Battery Place, is the former Kennedy mansion at 1 Broadway, which served as a military headquarters during the American Revolution. It was later enlarged and became the Washington Hotel.
Credit Line: 
Gift of Emil Herman Sauer
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.
Creative: Tronvig Group