Museum and Library Closures

The New-York Historical Society will be closed on September 23, and select spaces will be closed September 24. For details, please visit our calendar.

Bronson's Boathouses on the Harlem River, Inwood, New York City

Bronson's Boathouses on the Harlem River, Inwood, New York City
Title
Bronson's Boathouses on the Harlem River, Inwood, New York City
Date 
1870-1889
Medium 
Charcoal and crayon with eraser on paper, laid on paper, sandwiched between boards
Dimensions 
Overall: 27 1/8 x 38 1/8 in. ( 68.9 x 96.8 cm ) mat: 31 3/4 x 42 1/2 in. ( 80.6 x 108 cm )
Description 
The topography suggests that the scene is of boathouses situated on a point of land on the north bank of Sherman's Creek on upper Manhattan Island at its confluence with the Harlem River. Fort George Hill is in the left background, and in the far distance rises the spire of the Mount Washington Presbyterian Church on the Kingsbridge Road (now Broadway) at Dyckman Street.
Object Number 
1937.1775
Marks 
signature: lower right: "R. Schelling" inscription: on mount: "Brown's Boathouse on the Harlem"
Inscriptions 
Signed at lower right in pink gouache: "R. SCHELLING"; ettiquette on mount inscribed: "Brown's[sic] Boathouses on tbe Harlem."
Gallery Label 
Though the label indicates that this scene is of "Brown's Boathouse," it is probably a misnomer for Bronson, who lived in a stranded barge alongside the point. Bronson provided fishing parties with tackle, bait, and many a meal of clams and oysters taken from the nearby waters. For many years the place was know as Bronson's Point. The hill was graded in the 1890s, and subsequently the shore was bulkheaded and 201st Street was constructed.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.
Creative: Tronvig Group