Living Historian (pt)
TITLE: Living Historian - PT (Role: Woman Suffragist from Early 20th Century)
DEPARTMENT: DiMenna Children’s History Museum
REPORTS TO: Coordinator of Living History Programs
The New-York Historical Society seeks to hire costumed educators to act as Living Historians on select weekend and other dates to educate the public about early 20th century suffragists in conjunction with this summer’s World War I Beyond the Trenches and future Center for Women’s History exhibitions.
$25/hr for Programs and $15/hr for Training/Prep
Candidates must hold a Bachelor’s Degree. Concentration in history, art, women’s history, or museum studies preferred.
Qualified candidates will have:
- Interest in and/or experience interpreting the late 19th/early 20th century and/or women’s history
- Experience working with children between the ages of 4 and 14.
- Paid or volunteer experience as a historical reenactor, costumed interpreter, living historian, or actor.
- Expertise in a historical trade or craft relevant to the women’s suffrage movement a plus.
- Experience engaging visitors with disabilities preferred.
- Bilingual abilities a plus.
- Ability to provide your own historical garments a plus
- Interest and availability to continue as a Living Historian beyond summer 2017 a plus
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES:
- Educate families through informal, interactive, drop-in interactions and/or activities in the Museum galleries.
- Wear and interpret historical and reproduction garments, accessories, and objects for a family audience
- Be outgoing and professionally represent the Museum with excellent customer service
- Promptly communicate with coordinator about scheduling program and training attendance
- Attend trainings, review and study assigned resources at work and at home, and prepare program materials as needed
- Maintain flexible schedule and availability to work programs on select weekend and holiday dates through summer 2017 with additional weekday evening training hours
- Additional duties as requested
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee with or without accommodation, to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
Work involves moving throughout the Museum, lifting program materials and wearing historical garments (up to 30 lbs), and performing other similar actions while historically costumed for long periods of time.
For consideration, please send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Please reference the job title in the subject line.
The New-York Historical Society is an Equal Opportunity Employer