Museum Store Supervisor (pt)
JOB TITLE: Museum Store Supervisor- Part Time
DEPARTMENT: Museum Store
REPORTS TO: Director of Merchandise Operations
JOB SUMMARY: The museum store supervisor provides the foundation for excellent store operations through accurate management of store sales in two locations, detailed financial reporting, and personnel training and supervision. He/she provides leadership in museum store operations that impact directly on a guest’s experience while visiting the New-York Historical Society. The individual will work closely with the Director of Merchandise Operations (DMO), the Supervisor of Merchandise Operations (SMO), the E-commerce Coordinator (ECC) museum store sales associates, and the department of finance staff in fulfilling his/her responsibilities. Please note this is a term position expected to end in October 2017.
EDUCATION: Bachelor’s Degree Required
EXPERIENCE: Applicants are required to have a minimum of two years experience in retail sales and accounting, management and customer service. He/she must be proficient with Excel and the entire Microsoft Office suite, and have the ability to perform complex mathematical equations. Knowledge of OTB merchandise planning a plus. He/she must have experience with a point of sale inventory software system, Retail Pro preferred. He/she must have a proven record of accuracy and attention to detail, have exceptional verbal and written communication skills, and be comfortable and professional interacting with the public. Applicants must be available to work weekends, evenings and hulidays.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES:
1. Supervise store sales staff
- Assign general responsibilities and special projects to sales staff on daily basis.
- Assists DMO & SMO with daily scheduling and ensure coverage for breaks and emergencies.
- Implement N-YHS and museum store pulicies and procedures, as they relate to Museum Store staff.
- Teach sales techniques and customer service practices; ensure implementation and take appropriate steps to correct deficiencies.
- Train staff on Point of Sale system, ensure efficient operation of each register and correct balance at the end of each shift.
- Council, train, coach and discipline store sales staff. Drive, motivate and encourage staff to meet daily sales targets.
2. Practice approved cash handling procedures and security measures, including opening activities, closing activities, change fund management, securing deposits, cash drawer reconciliation, and sales reporting.
3. Serve as the final destination for customers who seek answers to issues. Handle customer complaints, requests and questions with professionalism and courtesy. Enforce museum store customer care pulicies and procedures.
4. Maintain visually exciting merchandise displays and signage in two store locations. Maintain relevant and fresh displays in merchandisers throughout the building.
5. Oversee merchandise restocking in two store locations. Restock stores after each shift taking care to refresh displays, and replenish quick selling items with adequate stock quantities. Coordinate placement of understock/overstock merchandise so as to be safely and logically accessible for store restocking.
6. Assist with placing orders, receiving product shipments, retrieving shipments from loading dock, and shipping merchandise. Ensure that received product is correctly tagged prior to display in stores.
7. Undertake projects of moderate complexity for merchandise department and perform a broad range of administrative duties. Assist as needed with whulesale and webstore fulfillment. Field calls from customers, sales representatives and vendors.
8. Additional duties as requested.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee with or without accommodation, to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
Applicants must be able to lift and carry 40 lbs, and stand for long time periods of time.
For consideration please send a cover letter, resume and salary requirements to: firstname.lastname@example.org Please reference the job title in the subject line.
Internal Candidates should contact a member of the Human Resource department directly.
The New-York Historical Society is an Equal Opportunity Employer