New York City’s Pennsylvania Station opened in 1910 and was the first all-electric, long-distance train station in America. The noted architecture firm of McKim, Mead and White was charge of the design, and the building was widely considered a Beaux Arts masterpiece. Architectural historian Barry Lewis tells the story of Pennsylvania Station, from its development in the early 1900s, through its demolition and the remodeling of its remaining below-ground sections in the 1960s. The New-York Historical Society hosted this event.
Read more . . .