Ceramic, textile, paper, leather, metal, paint
Overall: 9 x 8 3/4 in. ( 22.9 x 22.2 cm )
Walking doll with bisque shoulder head, yellow molded hair, blue painted eyes, closed mouth, and pink tinted cheeks; torso and skirt form made of fabric glued to stiff backing (possibly cardboard) concealing clockwork mechanism underneath, with hole at side of form for key; biscuit-colored, short-sleeved shirtwaist with purple ribbon sash and gathered skirt sewn on at waist, over stiff form; brass leg casings shaped like boots extend from bottom of "skirt."
Purchased from Elie Nadelman
printed: around edge of base: "Patented July 15, 1862; also, in Europe, 20 Dec. 1862."
The mechanism was patented in 1862 by Enoch Rice Morrison. Most of the dolls made under this patent were apparently manufactured by Martin & Runyan, a New York firm, but Caroline Goodfellow conjectures that others were probably made by several people (See Publications).