Artillery shell fragment excavated at Fort Washington
Related Person:Field Exploration Committee
Overall: 1 in. ( 2.5 cm )
Iron artillery shell fragment.
This shell fragment was excavated by the Field Exploration Committee from a refuse deposit outside the south ramparts of Fort Washington. Built by the Continental Army in the summer of 1776, the fort extended west along 183rd Street between Fort Washington and Pinehurst Avenues. The fort was captured on November 16, 1776 by British and Hessian forces, and was occupied by them until evacuation in 1783. The fragment was part of an artillery shell that was fired at the fort during the battle.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.
Museum & Library Map
Floor plan & visitor information
New-York Historical Society
170 Central Park West
at Richard Gilder Way (77th Street)
New York, NY 10024