Overall: 3 3/4 x 6 1/2 in. ( 9.5 x 16.5 cm )
Iron ax head.
According to an attached tag, this ax head was excavated by Reginald P. Bolton and others at a military camp at 204th Street between Seaman and Payson Avenues in Washington Heights, Manhattan. Built after the surrender of Fort Washington by American forces on November 16, 1776, the camp was occupied by British and Hessian troops until evacuation in 1783. The ax may have been used to build huts or fortifications.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.