Overall: 16 x 5 x 5 in. ( 40.6 x 12.7 x 12.7 cm )
Lower leg brace worn by Franklin Delano Roosevelt; upper portion composed of leather "boot" opening at the front with hooks for lace closure; metal braces secured to each side of boot with metal pins, connected by two arched supports around the back; brace hinged below leather boot for rotation; three holes in shoe attachment for securing brace to shoe.
This lower leg brace was one of many used by Franklin D. Roosevelt (1882-1945) after he was permanently disabled by polio in 1921. Despite paralysis of both legs, FDR was determined to walk again and sought out numerous cures, from mineral baths to braces. Heavy steel braces allowed him to "walk" short distances, and lower leg braces, such as this example, helped to prevent atrophy of his leg muscles. This leg brace came from the estate of Roosevelt's White House Secretary, Grace Tully.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.