Bernard and Irene Schwartz Fellowships
Offered jointly with Eugene Lang College The New School for Liberal Arts, two Bernard and Irene Schwartz Fellowships are open to scholars who will have completed the Ph.D. before the end of the 2014-2015 academic year. Fellows will teach one course each semester at Eugene Lang College and will also carry on research projects in residence at the New-York Historical Society. These fellowships carry a stipend of $60,000, plus benefits.
The Bernard and Irene Schwartz Postdoctoral Fellows Program was established in 2005 to foster a vibrant scholarly relationship between the New-York Historical Society and the New School’s Eugene Lang College. Postdoctoral fellows are invited to help build this connection through research, teaching, and public history programming. In the course of a one-year (non-renewable) fellowship, Bernard and Irene Schwartz fellows are expected to develop a major research project with N-YHS resources, to teach two undergraduate courses at Eugene Lang College, and to share in both institutions’ commitments to public history.
The successful candidate will be a recent Ph.D. (within three years of starting date), with a strong record of previous teaching (as a TA or otherwise). Application requirements include:
- A completed cover sheet (download here)
- Two- to three-page proposal describing the theme of the research project and the New-York Historical Society resources critical to the project
- A curriculum vitae
- A writing sample of no more than 3,000 words or ten pages
- Two detailed syllabi for undergraduate courses
- Three letters of recommendation to be sent digitally to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line SCHWARTZ FELLOWSHIP- [LAST NAME] prior to the deadline
Bernard and Irene Schwartz fellowships carry a stipend of $60,000 plus benefits.
COMPLETED APPLICATIONS WITH ALL OF THE ABOVE ELEMENTS MUST BE SUBMITTED TWO WAYS:
- Via e-mail with the subject line SCHWARTZ FELLOWSHIP- [LAST NAME], no later than 11:59 pm on January 5, 2016, to: email@example.com AND firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications received after the deadline will not be considered.