NEW GALLERY SPACES OPENING IN 2016
In December 2016, our fourth floor will be transformed into a new destination for historical education and innovation. During the current renovation, objects from our permanent collection are on view throughout the Museum.
THE LUCE CENTER IS CLOSED FOR RENOVATIONS
Check out a short video of just a few highlights from this past year.
SEE MORE >>
For Metro-North special discount package call 511 or visit our website at www.mta.info/mnr
What Our Visitors Say
- "Wonderful and inspiring."
— Dianne Wiest, March 7, 2012
- “Short and snappy, yet comprehensive too -- no mean feat!”
— Mike Wallace, February 7, 2012
- “Not to be missed is a panoramic film of New York”
— New York Times, November 13
- "...We were also absolutely blown away by the film which manages to convey more about NewYork and its history than one could imagine ever being crammed into 18 minutes."
— Carol Leimas, New York, NY
- "a fast-paced, state-of-the-art film...on the history of New York City."
— Wall Street Journal, November 22, 2011
- “what a pleasant shock… the film closed playing "NewYork" by Jay Z & Alicia Keys.”
— Yelp, November 14
- "wonderful and moving."
— Gotham-Lover, TripAdvisor.com, 12/22/11
- "NYC film is a visual explosion."
— Shari Cohen via Twitter, 1/30/12
- "Just go watch the 18 minute video about New York. It makes me so darn proud to be part of this hunk of rock!"
— Nate Kimball via Facebook 11/9/11
- 'New York Story', [whisks] through New York history with lighting effects, constantly moving screens and a projection of almost IMAX-like proportions.
— The Bowery Boys Blog, 11/15/11
- “Great intro movie - don't miss it.”
— TripAdvisor, December 2011
Support the New-York Historical Society
Help us present groundbreaking exhibitions and develop educational programs about our nation's history for more than 200,000 schoolchildren annually.
What Our Visitors Say
- I have organized several group tours…and everyone was impressed with the knowledge and enthusiasm of the docents who have such a command of the exhibition.
— Marie Harrington, Scarsdale NY
- The New-York Historical Society is one of my favorite museums because it is large enough to have a magnificent collection and splendid exhibits but small enough to offer an intimate experience for visitors
— Steven S. Berizzi, Associate Professor, Norwalk Community College, Norwalk, CT
- A good starting point for your visit to New York. It will help you understand the people and history of this amazing city.
— Phyllis Epstein, New York, NY
- When I talk to friends, I explain the New-York Historical Society's appeal to me by a simple phrase: "I never walk through the doors of the Society and not learn something." What better reason to visit?
— Jim Picinich, New York, NY
- No trip to manhattan can be without visiting here. One of the greatest museums in the city!
— Mateo C. Oakland Gardens, NY
- I always enjoy visiting the New-York Historical Society. Their permanent collection has Tiffany, Audubon and the Hudson River School painters. Their special shows are also fabulous and diversified.
— Lisa Siegel, New York, NY